Sunday, December 09, 2007

I did hear Purdue has a nice golf course...

This Friday, some of my fellow medical students had a little Christmas gathering. Two guys who I often discuss sports with are Boilermakers. One hot topic in the world of college football these days has been the coaching carousel and I entered into a conversation they were having concerning their football coach, Mr. Joe Tiller. They figured the underwhelming performance of Purdue football over the past few years should lead to his ousting. I would tend to agree that he hasn't been able to put that great of a product on the field.

So who did these guys think would be a great replacement for Tiller? The answer, Tyrone Willingham. When I asked what their basis for that decision, they replied that he would do an awesome job recruiting since he would be the only African-American coach around. I tried to talk them out of it, but they weren't convinced, especially since Ty was able to get Jake Locker. I hate to tell you guys, but with that nice Kampen Course on campus, Ty would be plenty busy working on sticking his approaches tight.

I don't understand how two people who seem well informed about sports could actually want Ty to coach their football team. How can they forget how bad a Willingham coached team performs? They should remember 2004, since it's etched in the side of their Sun Bowl rings. I guess all I can really hope for is they get their wish and they can see just what integriTY is all about.

On a side note, I watched the second half of the Michigan High School State Championships and saw future Domer Jonas Gray. He looked pretty good, although he didn't play much due to an apparent injury. He still racked up some good yardage on the few carries he got. Let's hope Weis can keep this recruiting class together and figure out how to prepare a young team in the offseason.

Mike D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home